Friday, August 21, 2015

A People of Celebration

So this week has been the Kadayawan festival in Davao. Kadayawan is a festival celebrating life, the bounty of the harvest, and in general just how good life has been to these people. It is a holiday celebrated generally by the people groups of the foothills of Mt. Apo, many which believe still in nature being the gods. However in the city, it's just a really fun time that everyone gathers together to celebrate.

One thing that I've noticed since being here is that the Filipino culture is one that is semi-lost to its Western feel. When you wander the malls, you are sure to see KFC, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, and a few American stores like PayLess or Aeropostale. So many people are impressed when they speak to us just because we come from America (which makes my heart a little sad). I think there are a lot of roots left from a time when the States had a presence of troops here (I think it was right after WWII but my history senses are never that good).  Anyways especially here in the city, I feel sad because I know how much of their culture is lost. Kadayawan was a great experience then to see them claiming back their culture and celebrating who they are as a people.

Despite my feelings of the loss of a surface culture, in the very essence of who these people are, they are very different than Americans. The one thing that I realized I appreciated and could learn from today is their joy of life and willingness to celebrate. The streets today were FILLED with people ready to see the festival. Whenever there is an event going on in the center of a mall (aka every day), it's always got the feel of a large party.....even when the event is just a Clash of the Clans tournament or Zumba. When they eat dinner together, the food is secondary to enjoying the company of those around them. Efficiency may not be a thing here, but relationship and celebration permeates every bit of life.

I try not to compare my two cultures and attribute one as good and the other as bad in the way it does things because that can be tempting when it's so different. But I am trying to learn the most I can from the way my new world does things and trying to take what I like and leave what I don't to blend with the culture I already have. One thing I definitely think I need to take from these people is a lesson on celebrating. I love to enjoy life, but often only when my to-do list is short. When there's not more important things I should be doing. When it doesn't interfere with the important things.

But I'm starting to think maybe celebrating is one of the important things. And I think God thinks that too. After all, these God commanded the people to have like 7 festivals a year. Parties celebrating God's own goodness. David, the man after God's own heart, danced in his underwear in the street. Jesus rode a donkey in a parade. It seems like God is all about the celebration life. And because of what God has done for us, where He has brought us, why shouldn't we celebrate? God has given us new life, and life to the full at that!! (John 10:10). He's delivered us from serving the harsh master of darkness and brought us to become sons of the King! (Ephesians 2). I'm not defined by my past and my future is secure. What is there not to celebrate??

Our celebrating brings glory to God. It points back the finger to heaven and says, "Man, God really has been good to us!" And when people see us celebrating, it invites them in. It beckons them to also "taste and see that the Lord is good!" Yes, we have schedules, to-do lists, and the demands of life pressing in on every side. But the God who has it all covered says, "Don't worry about it kiddo. Enjoy Me and celebrate My goodness today." I'm just praying we'll all learn to be a people of celebration today.

These kids had a lot of fun taking pictures with us. It was really cool to tell them "No, we're not the pretty ones, you're so beautiful today!"

 

1 comment:

  1. love the pictures and glad you got to experience that! and looks like nice weather. So glad that you can see the differences and still appreciate life here. It grows on you!

    ReplyDelete